2023 Head of Manufacturing & Quality Assurance
MoringaConnect (DBA True Moringa) is an MIT-Harvard spinout on a mission to use underutilized superfoods to improve the lives of rural farmers and to meet the wellness needs of underserved customers. We’re starting with moringa - a superfood tree more nutritious than kale and moisturizing than argan. We use the moringa tree's seed oil to create skincare products (face, lip, & body care) and its leaf powder to create wellness products (supplements, beverages, & snacks). Our branded products are sold in-person, online, and in retail in Ghana (Melcom, Farmer’s Market, Relish, MIG Mart) and in the USA (Whole Foods, Costco, Pharmaca, Amazon). We also serve as a private label and bulk ingredient supplier for fast growing brands using moringa in Africa, North America, Europe, and Asia. Since 2014, we have served 5,000 women and family farmers, and planted 3 million moringa trees in Ghana. We are hiring top talent to accelerate our growth and impact.
This is a rolling hire (i.e. applications are being reviewed in real time) so apply as soon as possible. Apply using this google form: https://forms.gle/JUi9D5zq3vYixxw18. Kindly note that you will be required to sign in with a Google account when you click the form in order to upload your resume/CV into the form. Our team will be in touch once your submission is received.
- One Sentence: Build world class manufacturing and quality assurance systems to profitably manufacture our bulk products (moringa oil, moringa powder, other ingredients), branded products (beverage; supplements; hair, face, and body beauty products) and private label products.
- Reporting Location: our factory in Nsawam, Eastern Region
- Own Factory P&L and undertake strategic initiatives to improve unit economics, ensure all products have a healthy gross profit margin, maximize machine utilization, and optimize process efficiency
- Oversee budget and resource & labor allocation for the manufacturing team
- Work cross functionally with Farm Team and Sales Team to meet manufacturing timelines, create product specifications, and maintain inventory.
- Manage key deputy managers to ensure key ingredient/product output and quality metrics are tracked and met in accordance with SOPs
- Create operational plans and implement SOPs to improve machine maintenance, quality control, and efficiency
- Ensure safe and clean working environment in accordance with FDA, GSA, and GMP standards, ensure all regulatory items and certifications are up to date
- Lead acquiring new certifications (e.g. HACCP, FSSC, ISO etc) and work with external experts and certifiers to build the capacity of your team.
- Lead hiring, training, and firing, of manufacturing and quality assurance teams and maintain a culture of transparency and excellence.
- Lead R&D initiatives on product line extensions and new products.
- Lead research and procurement of new machinery, tools, and assets that improve your departments’ quality, quantity, and efficiency.
- Units manufactured
- Machine utilization
- Product unit cost (bulk, private, branded)
- On-time order completion %
- % of quality metrics met
In the first month you will:
- Audit the current systems in place to grow, source, and manufacture oil, powder, private label, and branded products
- Understand the meaning and causal factors behind each key quality metric and all regulatory documentation provided to our customers
- Design process flows and update SOPs to improve product quality and increase output in line with quarterly targets
In the first 3 months you will:
- Restructure team to optimize their performance and create training plans to build personnel capacity
- Understand unit economics behind all products and own your budget, financial statements (profit and loss and balance sheet)
- Document plan of action to reduce unit costs of all products to achieve a 40%+ gross profit margin
- Review and ensure all product, facility, and regulatory certifications and documents are up to date
- Review asset register, research, and purchase the machine investments needed to meet targets
- Review and improve all regulatory documents as needed by the sales team and external bodies
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Salary will be reviewed semi-annually in January & July
- Opportunity: help build a profitable 8+ figure revenue business while increasing rural farmer incomes
- Benefits & Perks
- Company Tier 3 SSNIT contribution: 0.5% of gross/month
- Leave (20 days): 15 days paid annual leave; 5 days paid personal days/casual leave
- Private Health Insurance
- Gadgets: company laptop, phone
- All-expense-paid company travel & professional development opportunity
This is a rolling hire (i.e. applications are being reviewed in real time) so apply as soon as possible. Apply using this google form: https://forms.gle/JUi9D5zq3vYixxw18 Kindly note that you will be required to sign in with a Google account when you click the form in order to upload your resume/CV into the form. Our team will be in touch once your submission is received.