2023 Farm Manager
MoringaConnect (DBA True Moringa) is an MIT-Harvard spinout on a mission to use underutilized superfoods to improve the lives of rural farmers and to meet the wellness needs of underserved customers. We’re starting with moringa - a superfood tree more nutritious than kale and moisturizing than argan. We use the moringa tree's seed oil to create skincare products (face, lip, & body care) and its leaf powder to create wellness products (supplements, beverages, & snacks). Our branded products are sold in-person, online, and in retail in Ghana (Melcom, Farmer’s Market, Relish, MIG Mart) and in the USA (Whole Foods, Costco, Pharmaca, Amazon). We also serve as a private label and bulk ingredient supplier for fast growing brands using moringa in Africa, North America, Europe, and Asia. Since 2014, we have served 5,000 women and family farmers, and planted 3 million moringa trees in Ghana. We are hiring top talent to accelerate our growth and impact.
This is a rolling hire (i.e. applications are being reviewed in real time) so apply as soon as possible. Apply using this google form link
Kindly note that you will be required to sign in with a Google account when you click the form in order to upload your resume/CV into the form. The deadline is Monday 22nd May 2023.
- One Sentence: Build a world-class profitable farm using regenerative farming and agroforestry practices.
- Reporting Location: New Longoro, Bono East Region
- Supervisor: You will report to the Head of Impact and Farming
- Create and manage the budget for the farm and prepare reports detailing farm performance compared to targets
- Prepare and execute detailed plans for land selection, land preparation, crop selection, crop nursery, planting, crop maintenance, input procurement, input application, harvesting, and post-harvest activities.
- Identify, recommend, implement, and maintain the infrastructural needs of the farm (eg. paths, roads, drainage, buildings, etc).
- Identify, recommend, implement, and maintain the machinery & assets needed to improve farm operations (e.g. tractors, implements, pumps, solar system).
- Ensure seeds, organic fertilizers, organic pesticides, and all supplies are regularly restocked.
- Schedule preventative maintenance, repairs, and replacement of equipment and machinery to minimize down time.
Documentation & SOPs
- Track data on all crop production and farm activities using Google Sheets and Google Forms.
- Update SOPs as and when required and ensure best practices at all times.
- Maintain Organic certification (NOP and EOS) and regenerative agricultural standards.
- Ensure all staff adhere to all safety, health, environment and quality regulations.
Work with the farm team to collect marketing materials such as farmer stories, pictures, audio, and video.
- Coordinate, supervise, and direct the work and schedules of farm staff.
- Coordinate and contract external labor as needed.
- Lead recruitment and training of staff.
- Lead the recruitment and training of partner farmers who farm inside our farm.
Coordinate external professional development opportunities to build their capacity and competence.
Continuous Improvement & R&D
- Spearhead and collaborate with team members to design and implement all research and development-related activities on the farm.
- Plan, implement, and analyze all moringa crop experimentation and non-moringa crop exploration (other seed and fruit trees, vegetables, cereals, herbs, tubers, legumes, flowers, etc)
- Continuously analyze farm operations, crops, systems, and staff to determine ways to improve.
- Perform regular tests on soil, water, inputs to learn and improve farm output.
- Organize periodic stakeholder meetings to communicate progress, findings, interventions, and resolve conflicts.
- Lead social responsibility intervention programs for surrounding communities and the partner farmers we work with.
- Build professional networks to support farm talent needs.
Stay abreast of the industry and regulatory developments.
- Live out True Moringa’s core values (passion, integrity, excellence, consistency) personally and professionally.
- Perform other duties appropriate to this role, as may be required by the Company from time to time.
- Be willing to relocate and reside at the farm site (Bono East Region)
- Bachelor of Science degree in Agricultural Science, Agribusiness, or higher.
- 5+ years of experience in a farm management role.
- Tech savvy and with strong experience using Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Earth, Google Forms, and Google Calendar
- Experience managing a 50+ acre farm
- Strong leadership experience and ability to lead a team in executing projects and exceeding targets.
- Able to process complex farm management scenarios and create an operational plan
- Functional understanding of organic certification and regenerative farming & agroforestry best practices
- Fluent in Twi
- Excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, listening, communicating, and organization skills
Nice to have to strengthen your application:
- Experience working with a diverse range of team members.
- Fluent in Mo, Dagaare, Sisaala
- Possess a Valid Drivers License
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Benefits & Perks
- Company Tier 3 SSNIT contribution: 0.5% of gross/month
- Leave (20 days): 15 days paid annual leave; 5 days paid personal days/casual leave
- Gadgets: company laptop, phone as needed
- All-expense-paid company travel & professional development opportunity